Jussie Smollett has been at the center of one of the biggest scandals in 2019, which says a lot considering R. Kelly and Michael Jackson's alleged sex crimes are making headlines again.
In a swerve that nobody saw coming, the criminal charges against the actor/singer have officially been dropped by the Chicago district attorney’s office.
On March 8th, he was charged with 16 counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly hiring two men to attack him on a street near his home and staging himself to be a victim of a hate crime.
After an emergency court proceeding on Tuesday (March 26), it would appear as though Jussie may not have been untruthful or, at least, that's what it looks like.
While the Empire star will not serve any jail time, he will surrender his $10,000 bond but will have to do community service.
In addressing the dropped charges, his lawyers issued a statement bashing the Chicago Police Department for "vilifying" Smollett, who they stress was a victim in this incident, and feeding "false and inappropriate remarks" on the case to the public.
Their statement read: "Today, all criminal charges against Jussie Smollett were dropped and his record has been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint against him. Jussie was attacked by 2 people he was unable to identify on January 29th. He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public, causing an inappropriate rush to judgment."
They continued, "Jussie and many others were hurt by these unfair and unwarranted actions. This entire situation is a reminder that there should never be an attempt to prove a case in the court of public opinion. That is wrong. It is a reminder that a victim, in this case Jussie, deserves dignity and respect. Dismissal of charges against the victim in this case was the only just result."
As previously reported, FBI contradicted the Chicago PD’s findings as they couldn’t conclude who wrote the threatening letter that was received at the Empire office. Also, the Chicago P.D. lied about the nature of the check that was provided to the Osundairo brothers in the alleged staged attack.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and police superintendent Eddie Johnson held a press conference expressing their frustration that charges were dropped against Smollett. Instead of attacking the state’s attorney’s office, they focused their anger on Jussie.
“Where is the accountability in the system?” Emanuel asked. “You cannot have, because of a person’s position, one set of rules apply to them and another set of rules apply to everybody else… [He's] been let off scot-free, with no sense of accountability of the moral and ethical wrong of his actions"
Johnson stood by Chicago PD as he flat out says Jussie Smollett committed the hoax and that the Empire star should apologize to the city.
“Do I think justice was served? No,” said Johnson, who memorably blasted Smollett at a news conference last month announcing the charges, saying at the time that the hoax dragged "Chicago's reputation through the mud… At the end of the day, it's Mr. Smollett that committed this hoax, period."
Before departing the courthouse, Jussie Smollett spoke after charges against him for an alleged hoax attack were dropped: "I've been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one"
We’ll keep you updated as there are more developments to this story that will come out in the coming days.