The hate crime against Jussie Smollett that happen or didn’t happen has everyone in circles about what exactly is true and what’s not.
The actor/singer is facing a class four felony charge of disorderly conduct for allegedly filing a false police report. He stands by his claim that he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack in Chicago, in late January.
Authorities in Chicago say he staged the whole thing with two Nigerian men, brothers Ola and Abel Osundairo. When questioned, they told law enforcement officials that Smollett contracted them to carry out the assault and paid them $3,500.
If Smollett is found guilty, he faces one to three years in prison.
New details are coming out after the Empire star was indicted by prosecutors in Chicago last week.
Leave it to TMZ to find physical proof that casts some doubt on some of the allegations against Smollett.
According to the tabloid site, the check Jussie wrote to the Osundairo brothers wasn’t for the attack… it was actually for a “5 week Nutrition/Workout program Don't Go.” Smollett’s website claims the “Don’t Go” part is in reference to the “Don’t Go” song with Jussie was about to shoot a video for.
The entertainer was reportedly looking to lose 20 lbs after gaining weight and looked to his alleged co-conspirators for help.
There are a bunch of text messages around the time the check was written that help support that notion. One of the more interesting texts took place on January 28th (The day before the alleged attack) where Abel wrote, "I know you're traveling today, make sure you get at least 45 mins of cardio." Smollett replied, “Gotcha. Did this morning.”
Another text on January 20 reveals what Smollett ate that day, including chicken thigh, StarKist Tuna, eggs and Smucker's peanut butter. Then there’s the January 25th text that reads, "This is the meal plan and the breakdown of macronutrients. Also includes projected fat loss."
Sources also shared with TMZ that the breakdown of the $3,500 payment was $600 a week for the workout plan and $100 a week for the nutrition plan for five weeks.
That counters the claim Abel and Ola said to the grand jury that Jussie paid them to beat him up.
For the record, news of the payment for training doesn't mean the attack wasn't staged.
According to TMZ, Jussie Smollett has officially been cut from the final episodes of Empire.
In an announcement, issued through both the Associated Press and the 20th Century FOX TV Twitter account, Empire executive producers Lee Daniels, Danny Strong, Brett Mahoney, Brian Grazer, Sanaa Hamri, Francie Calfo and Dennis Hammer confirm the news as they dismissed him "to avoid further disruption on set."
There is still a lot to understand when it comes to this case but at the very least, let this be a reminder to wait for the full facts to come out before casting judgement.